I admit that any attempt to claim an insight into God's perspective is risky at best but recently I've been mulling over the way that God might view history and specifically biblical history. This has all come from a recognition that these days I seem to spend most of my time and have done most of my real exegesis in the Pauline New Testament. As a result I have such an awe for God's saving work in Christ that whenever people rely on the Old Testament I tend to think that Paul says all the same stuff and 'in Christ!'.
This linear view of God's word does make sense - God's story of his own unveiling from perfect innocence through crisis then sacrifice upon sacrifice, blood of bulls and goats until Jesus Christ himself to achieve the removal of the veil and the progressive reunion of creation with Creator.
Its beautiful but is it a complete picture? maybe God, outside of time, knowing all things, perpetually now, uses the line but actually sees and speaks in layers, designing history, one age to speak to another in its patterns and symbols. Maybe God layers rhythm upon rhythm creating echoes and mirror images in history. If this is true then not only is the Old Testament the early stages of the journey but it is also full of patterns and reflections which can add to and which are fulfilled by the New Testament. Paul makes explicit the incarnation of God in Christ just as in Christ God makes himself explicit to the people he has already been revealing himself to for generations.
So this changes the way I'm resolved to read the Bible - looking for the resonanance and the design in God's written history. And if this suggestion of God's eye view has any weight to it then it must have implications for how God sees and works in our generation. Are the patterns of God's unveiling continued in our discipleship and in the Church as a whole?
Tuesday, 26 June 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment