Monday, 16 July 2007

'Incarnational' - adjective or noun?

I'm totally not a fan of the current trend of using 'incarnational' as a descriptive; the idea that Christianity is something which can be, at times and by specific people, described as incarnational seems to me to be totally misleading.

If Christianity is anything it is incarnational! Far from being a 'style' or ministry option for church leaders, incarnation is the very stuff of the Christian life on an individual and corporate level.

The incarnation or enfleshing of Jesus was a one time occurance sure, but it was an one time for all time event. In becoming Christians we are incorporated into Christ, and are made sons of God and parts of Christ's body; as a result we become little incarnations of Christ in this world. As individuals we cannot choose to follow Christ but avoid Christ incarnate in us; his only method of discipleship is to move in, to inhabit your flesh by the Holy Spirit. Its the only hope for our redemption, extreme yes but nothing else can overcome our sin.

'Incarnational ministry' has come to carry numerous connotations; an endorsement of the material world and human culture, a desire to meet people where they are and a strategy to participate in shared human life with them. I really love this but I'd far prefer to hear it called Christian ministry - its such a mistake to think that we can be a Christian and still avoid the incarnation of Christ in us affecting the world around us. A Christian life without incarnation is simply no Christian life at all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your postings this evening...keep searching, keep pressing in...He so wants to be found by us!

Blessings

Emanna

www.myemanna.org

Jon Hares said...

Hmmm... yes - we need to find a different descriptor for "Incarnational" Mission don't we... - any ideas?

Matt Wilson said...

You've put your finger on it Anna. Phrases like the 'body of christ' ought to be enough to remind us that our role is to incarnate grace and truth in a world of blame and deception. I often get frustrated that I have to trek around singling out the actions of a 'special' few who have chosen to locate themselves in places of risk and vulnerability. As far as I can see anyone wearing the label Christian but by their actions isolating and insulating themself from the world around them has missed the central point of it all. In this sense the only use of the adjective would be in it's negative form, to delineate non-incarnational Christianity from it's authentic form.