Monday, 11 February 2008

Discipleship: seekers exploring the answer


So much of the apparent gulf between emerging approaches to Christianity and inherited or established understandings of faith seems to hinge on the issue of certainty. The charicature is that on the ecclesiological spectrum emergant church challenges recieved wisdom and retains an open mind on matters of faith whereas churches in the more Modern tradition are so certain that any suggestion of ambiguity can cause real suspicion. I like certainty, I like to know every little thing, but an honest assessment of my faith leads me to admit that I don't know it all, in fact I'm not certain of lots of things; the amazing thing is that somehow thats ok. If God is who he claims to be then I'm not going to be able to figure him out, and if he's not then he's not worth worshipping.

Paul's concept of 'in Christ' means that when we choose to put our faith in Christ for salvation we somehow move, spatially, to a new position in relation to God, actually in Christ. The idea of a whole new world created in Christ appeals to me; it lets me keep a sense of discovery. The paradox of knowing Christ the God who is wholly other is given a concrete location, in Christ.

So I think that makes me a seeker exploring the answer.
Fundamental to the Christian story is that God desires to reveal himself to us, to make himself known; we love God by seeking him, and when we find him, trusting in Christ for salvation we continue to love him by recognising his otherness, by retaining humility. Continuing to explore him, to know him better is the way that I say 'I love you' to a God who values my love much more than my certainty.

No comments: