Saturday, 26 January 2008

God is REALLY big!



Following on from my thinking about Brother Yun I recently had the privilege of hearing Simon Guillebaud, a missionary working in Burundi, speak of his experience of an uncomfortable Christianity. His message was one of confrontation, a challenge to our western commercial faith which so often allows us to get away with living our own way. Surfice to say Simon had a significant impact on everyone who heard him.

I admit my initial response was utterly selfish. I often pray sincerely Lord wherever, whatever, whoever so I just thought 'right Lord, Burundi it is then'. A split second later the Holy Spirit, truth-teller that he is shone a floodlight into my heart exposing my real motivation - to feel accepted, better about myself, to suffer so that I don't have to bear the burden of guilty comfort.


But the thing is God is
really big! I am accepted, I am called and I am committed to living that call and, in the process, to allowing God to remove all pride and desire to justify myself enabling me to rely wholly on the love of Jesus. So Manchester it is for now, and all for Jesus, in him, to him and through him.

No comments: